Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

46 OS FX repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
bigbird007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 46 OS FX repair

Hi Bill

Unlike the previous poster, I've only go a few years in the sport and don't have experience tearing engines down. That said I have a 46fx that never did run right and after fighting it for 1 season replaced it with another which has performed well. Looking in the exhaust port it appears the piston sleeve has vertical lines in it. The engine has not been crashed and is externally undamaged. My question is, is it cost effective to send it in for repairs? I know it's impossible to determine cost without knowing what is wrong. I'm looking for a rule of thumb or something.

Thanks for any help
Bob Beatty
Old 04-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 46 OS FX repair

Vertical lines on the piston or liner usually aren't good news. It depends upon their size. If they're small scratches, then there's likely little damage, especially if the compression's still good.

It's possible that the engine's had an accidental overheat and the piston/liner fit is too loose when the engine starts to warm up.

If the scoring is severe, the piston/liner set is toast.

As far as having work done, the suggested retail price of the piston/liner set is:

OSMG4914 25603010 CYL & PISTON 46FX $79.99

If we repair it, add about $20.00 labor or so, plus return shipping, and you can see that you're likely better-off with a new engine for the money.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 PM
bigbird007

Thanks Bill,

I kind of though that might be the case. I'm not aware of any overheat but that's beside the point. I guess I'll try one of the new AX's.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
bigbird007

Bax,

I just got my new AX and was surprised to see the "running in" instructions are basically the same as the .46fx that I had so much trouble with. I did find your link to the "recommended Procedure" for running in which says never run in a rich or 4-stroke state. Being new to this sport when I bought the fx I tried to follow the instructions which recommend tuneing back and forth between 2 and 4 stroke and in the process ended up drowing the glow plug (it quit working during the running in process). I've had much better luck with the other engine I bought at the same time which I just installed and flew.

It would be nice for future newbies if you could put your recommended procedure, which says NEVER run in a 4-stroke state as the engine will not reach operating temps necessary for run in, in the manual that comes with the engine rather than on the web site.

Thanks for the reply

Bob Beatty