Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

O.S. 18TM Tuning

Old 04-04-2005, 02:09 AM
stangak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 18TM Tuning

Installed my engine in my T-maxx, broke it in with 5 tanks of gas, leaning it 30 degrees per tank, the engine was powerful. operating around 220. I was having sluggish take off so leaned lsn 45 degrees, wow the wheelies were incredible. Loosened up my slipper gear, and hit the track ran great . Next day bit cooler out but not much maybe 80, warmed her hit the track. noticed some whining in spur gear, so went to tighten it up, was to late already burned. After quick replacement of spur gear, truck will not run at low speed continously dies. was runnig great before replacement, and possibly flooded her when replacing, cleared it out, replaced glow plug? Changed from 72 to 70 spur gear, should i lean out the lsn?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: O.S. 18TM Tuning

We're not sure what you mean when you refer to leaning by 30 or 45 degrees. Are you referring to temperature or angle?

At any rate, we never pay attention to either. We richen or lean according to the engine's performance and go a small amount at a time. If you only go in 30 or 45 degree increments, you'll never get the engine set correctly because the actual spot may be at 20 degress (for example).

There aren't any set points we can give you. You have to adjust the engine by sound and performance. The settings will change when you change gear ratios, change fuels, and have weather changes. Usually, though, once an idle mixture is found, it doesn't have to be reset very often at all. It's the high-speed needle that should take the major changes.

A cooler day means that the high-speed needle will need to be richened. Cooler air means that the engine is pulling in more air by weight, which means you need more fuel by weight to keep a proper mixture.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM
jatoblack23

I got an os .18tm used I put it in my jato and
And modded the header a little leak in manifold
Coul that cause the tune to be bad. It runs good
For about 3 mins then get hot 220 then looses
Power
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An exhaust system that is too restrictive can cause the engine to gradually overheat and then quit. You will have to see if making the exhaust system a bit less restrictive will help you.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
jatoblack23

It's leaking cazy I see the oil from the exhaust
I guess I have to get a manifold Ne suggestions
For the jato just manifold
Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
jatoblack23

Got the right header but it's snowing I'm still