Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 50 SX Ringed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:48 PM
limbodancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 50 SX Ringed

Need help wiith new OS 50 SX Ringed. I have been trying to break in this engine new from box. Seemed to run only on primed fuel for a few seconds and conked off. 2 turns on needle valve, full throttle and OS #8 plug. No adjustment done to slow idle screw from box. Fuel : 22% oil ( 50% Syn, 50% castor ) and 5% nitro. Running from bench with properly set up tank and plumbling. No blockade anywhere.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 50 SX Ringed

If the engine's not drawing fuel, and the fuel system has no blockage, then you need to look at the needle and carb.

Open the throttle to full and look into the carburetor. You should see about a 3 mm gap between the needle and the nozzle. Many times, the idle needle's been set too lean, and that can block fuel flow.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:56 AM
limbodancer

ORIGINAL: Bax

If the engine's not drawing fuel, and the fuel system has no blockage, then you need to look at the needle and carb.

Open the throttle to full and look into the carburetor. You should see about a 3 mm gap between the needle and the nozzle. Many times, the idle needle's been set too lean, and that can block fuel flow.
Thanks, Bax. I didn't deduce that it might be the idle needle as I expected it to be set at factory. I have not tried starting it since but will take a look and have a go again. Do I need to open the needle valve to about 4 turns this time around ?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We'll open the high-speed needle 2-1/2 to 3 turns for initial running. That's plenty rich. The idle needle is set as above. Breakin is at full throttle.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:52 AM
limbodancer

Thanks, Bax. Got the engine running on song now. I opened the slow idle needle to 3mm as recommended and 3 turns on the needle valve. Will fine tune it now.