Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Need "O" ring for old OS 90 FS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:28 PM
lakefish4
My Feedback: (68)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need "O" ring for old OS 90 FS

Where can I get the rear "O" ring that retains and seals the rear bearing cap???

Thanks for any help!

Also --- this engine tops out at a an rpm of around 8400 with a 14x6 and should be around 9000+. would the loose rear cap cause this? The valves are set correctly, the idle is solid, the top rpm is solid but low - the transition is good and I can lean or richen and it will drop from the peak of 8400.

Al
Old 05-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need "O" ring for old OS 90 FS

We're sorry, but parts for the old O.S. FS-90 are just no longer available. Even O.S. in Japan doesn't have the parts. Unfortunately, we don't have a parts spec for the size of the o-ring. If you take the cap to an automotive or hardware store, you may be able to go through the parts drawers of o-rings and find one that's close. The only purpose of the cap was to keep dirt out of the engine. The o-ring provided a means for the cap to grip the housing and stay in. It also helped make sure any oil went out the breather, but it was not a seal.

As far as the RPM is concerned, it may depend upon the propeller. You'll find quite a variation in performance with different brands of propellers that are all supposed to have the same diameter and pitch. Anything in the mid-to-high-8,000's would be good, depending upon the prop.

If the engine won't turn over 8,000 RPM regardless of the propeller, then we'd suggest that your engine's getting tired, and is starting to wear out. As long as the idle and acceleration are good, though, there's no reason not to keep using it. Idle is usually the first thing to go when model engines start to wear out.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
lakefish4
My Feedback: (68)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need "O" ring for old OS 90 FS

THANKS BAX FOR THE INFO. ON THE "O' RING AND ENGINE PERFORMANCE. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. AL