Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS .12 CV help

Old 08-29-2005, 08:08 AM
willchao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .12 CV help

Hello,

It was my 1st time out with a new-to-me Losi 1/10 truck I bought on ebay. The truck ran fine for one practice round and then I had difficulty re-starting.

I'm not sure if it is getting too much fuel, or not enough. I thought the engine was flooded, but I didn't have any fuel on my rag when I "cleared" the engine. When spinning on the starter box, it looked like it was popping (like it was gonna start) when I gave it half throttle. Yesterday in the parking lot, I could manage to start it a few times and ran, but ALWAYS had trouble re-starting if I shut her down or if she stalled. The hi-speed needle seems fine (still a bit rich), the idle is fine, and the low-speed needle passed the 3-second "pinch" test. The was some smoke going from idle to full throttle, am I still too rich on the low-speed needle? What else could be wrong?

Any help would be great.

Also, what is the best way to clean the engine. It is filthy from the previous owner's lack of maintenance.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS .12 CV help

If the engine was received filthy, you can't assume that only the outside got dirty. It's very possible that dirt has been run through the engine and damaged the compression fit. This would easily account for hard starting. If you send us an email, we can send back some articles on engine starting and tuning.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:21 PM
willchao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .12 CV help

Got the articles, thanks.

I'm planning to take the CV apart and give it a good cleaning. Hopefully the issues will sort itself out after.

In the meantime, I've purchased an CV-R to keep the party going.

I can always use the old CV as a backup.

Thanks again.