Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OLD OS 70 SURPASS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:26 PM
jlingrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLD OS 70 SURPASS

I have a very old (circa 1999) NIB os 70 surpass engine. It has never had fuel in it. Got it out of the box today and it will turn over about 400 degrees and then it hits something solid insice and will go no further. Bax, do you guys still work on this engine. I have torn a lot of 2 strokes apart, but never a 4 stroke. If you do, I will send it to my son in your warehouse and have him bring it over to you. Would really like to finally use this beast. Bought a GP cub for it at the same time, so have that NIB also.

John
Old 11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OLD OS 70 SURPASS

We'll be glad to look at it. First though, remove the glow plug to see if that helps any. You may also want to remove the rocker cover and check the valve settings.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
jlingrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try that tonight, and if it doesn't fix it, I will get it to you. Is that engine still supported?

John
Old 11-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The O.S. FS-70 Surpass engine was discontinued in 2002 Parts for it are still available.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My OS 70 Surpass II.

I just did a little work on my OS 70 Surapss today. The plane it is attached to has been in storage for about 1.5 years, always indoors. I decided I wanted to run the engine to blow all the old stuff out of there and keep it in good shape. I had found the crank was becoming increasingly difficult to turn over as it sat. I ended up determining the CAM FOLLOWERS were stuck on the engine casing. They ride in a piece of the casing just below the lifter rods. I opened the valve cover and turned the prop over by hand. I could see the rockers were not "Rocking" It seems something was stuck. So, I opened the Cam Cover on the side of the motor. At that time I discovered the CAM FOLLOWERS were not moving in conjunction with the CAM. They were stuck in the up position. So, after a little persuasion and a lot of oil I was able to break them free without causing any damage. After that problem was fixed I discovered one of the valves was stuck closed. A short bit of pursuastion and oil freed that one up. After everything was back in motion I reassembled the motor and mounted it to the plane. About 30 seconds with the electric starter and she fired up. I let it run about 10 minutes to heat everything up and blow out all the goop. Good as new! Am currently looking for some Marvel Air Tool Oil to keep the motor from locking up during storage.

Intersesting note, The top of the piston was as clean as it was when new. While working on the valves I had the top end off and the top of the piston exposed. I wiped it with a rag and to my suprise it was all shiny with no burnt on oil. All that Cool Power 15% must be taking good care of the motor!

Phil