Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os 160 ft needle valve/exhaust clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:34 AM
atchfoot
My Feedback: (171)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 160 ft needle valve/exhaust clearance

Help! I have an O.S. 160 twin. The exhaust header and the needle valve are so close together that I'm concerned with exhaust vibration causing fuel problem in valve setting. I've rotated the exhaust header in different locations and regardless of its position it interferes with either the needle valve or the needle valve extension. An exhaust extension added to the stock header simply adds girth and makes things worse. Is my stock header bent or do I need to cut the stock exhaust header short and try to route it for needle valve clearance? Has anyone out there experienced this problem and if so, what's the fix?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 AM
dynasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: os 160 ft needle valve/exhaust clearance

I just installed FT-160 Twin in my Quarter scale J3-Cub and I do not have any problem
with the Right Hand side exhaust pipe since I have enough clearance for the needle valve
extension. I suggest you rotate the exhaust header pipe little outward to allow further
clearance to the needle valve extension.
I had a test flight and found that one of the cylinder go dead some times, changed the plugs
raised the Nitro from 10% to 15% but still I get one or the other cylinder go dead during
flight at low throttle's. I am now installing onboard glow using a Sub C battery cell which will
only come in to contact between idle to around 20% throttler and that will solve the problem
once for all. The engine is good and the sound is just music to ears. I get must better power
compare to OS 120 FS surpass-III Pumped installed earlier. If you want I can take and send you photo of my engine and header pipe installation for your viewing.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os 160 ft needle valve/exhaust clearance

As long as any needle extension you use doesn't touch the exhaust pipe, you'll be fine.