Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Should I send my engine for Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
flying evader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I send my engine for Warranty??

Hi,

I recently got a new OS .12CV-RX for my evader ST. Engine runs great however i think it came with a problem. i think it has an air leak.

Engine has never been able to prime or purge since first time. I have to blow on the pressure tube to get fuel in the carb/chamber.. and then it takes some pulls to fire it up ... even when i fire it up hot or 10mins after a run it takes 3-4 pulls, where previous engines fire up the first time when hot..

I've checked for leaks to the best of my abilities. Changed exhaust gasket, replaces fuel lines, removed in-line filter and checked for carb leaks with soapy water.. haven't been able to find a leak..

Am I overreacting? I mean engine runs good, and i think it holds tune (im on my 8th tank) and doesnt appear to get hot..

still is kinda frustrating that it's a brand new engine! I don't want to send it back to OS so they tell me it has nothing..

any suggestions???
Old 04-11-2006, 07:16 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I send my engine for Warranty??

try RTV around backplate and carb gasket
Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Should I send my engine for Warranty??

Fuel draw is dependent upon a lot of things, including fuel tank location, fuel plumbing, pressure systemm, carb, carb settings, engine condition, and so on. If the engine runs very well, then there's basically no problem with the engine. The problem is in getting it primed. 3-4 pulls on the starter to get it to fire and run is nothing.

If you open the carburetor to full, and block the intake, it should easily prime with a few pulls of the starter. Then take your finger off the carb and pull a few more times. Close the throttle to idle, add the glow plug battery, and it should start up fairly quickly. If you're trying to prime by blocking the exhaust outlet with a finger and using the pressue to push fuel to the tank, it may take a number of pulls to compress the air in the muffler to the point it pushes the fuel.

Easiest way to prime an engine is a few drops into the carb. Pull several times on the starter, and then add the battery. The engine should fire quickly if you didn't flood it. The small run of prime will cause the fuel to be drawn to the engine. If it quits, it should start right back up.

As long as the engine's running well, there's really nothing wrong with it.