Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS .91 FX Reputation

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OS .91 FX Reputation

I have an opurtunity to pick up a .91FX (new style) very cheap. The engine supposibly has a problem of running to rich in the mid range (and flameing out).[sm=confused.gif] The owner stated that he ran 1 gallon on WC 15% through it and that it will run wide open fine, and idle fine, but is way to rich in the mid range and flames out if the throttle is left in the mid throttle setting. I know I have read other posts about a very rich midrange. Is this truely a problem with the .91FX. He will not fly it anymore because he is sick of dead sticks.
Please respond. Could it be caused by running to high of nitro (15%) which wll require a richer high speed needle setting which will inturn cause a rich midrange.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .91 FX Reputation

I had a 91FX and it was the best running 2 stroke glow I have ever had. I sold it with a plane and I am sorry I ever did. Lot's of power and real smooth all the way through the throttle range.

Sounds like he isn't telling you something. I have never heard that as being a problem with that engine.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Iflyglow

I am not complaining, I am simply asking. I am getting it for $85.00. It looks like new. I just do not want a POS. I can buy Chinese engine that I know will run (Magnum .91XLS). Its just this deal sounds to good to be true or the engine is truely junk like he says.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mean to make my reply sound harsh... It does sound too good to be true... which means it probably is as the old saying goes.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Discussions/arguments by non-O.S. Support Staff are not permitted in the O.S. Support Forum.

Regarding the O.S. Max .91 FX engine, some people did have difficulties with the original version. Cooling is especially critical. In some cases, the needle assembly got warm enough to cause fuel to vaporize in the line, making the mixture go lean. This was cured in later versions with a different needle valve housing. Engines that had good cooling did not have the particular difficulty some have had.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Iflyglow

BAX
I was hoping you would chime in. So you never have heard of a really rich midrange (flame outs) when the engine runs fine both idleing and wide open. I know of several in our club, and no one has complained. I will grab the .91FX for $85.00 then and take my chances. I wish you (TOWER) marketed a Tower .91. It would be so welcomed in the hobby. How do you rate .91FX compared to the Super tiger .90 on sale at TH for $115.00. That was my other choice if I do not grab the .91FX. I am looking for sport performance. I would use a TH .75 but it's to small.