Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os max 21rf-b

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:27 PM
zigcaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os max 21rf-b

I am looking for some help here in desperation. I have this engine and have never gotten it to run very well. It has went unused for probably 5 yrs. It was seized up, i soaked it to free it up, and took apart the carb and cleaned it.

I am having the same problems as when I last drove it. The engine is in a OFNA Super Pirate.

I started it with the idle mixture set to "factory" and the needle 2.5 turns out. It starts cold like this and idles ok. I lean it out so that it will come off idle using the idle mixture and the needle. It will run ok for a short period of time, not enough time for me to get it adjusted correctly before it stalls. After a couple attempts at starts then stalls, I can't even get it started. I have tried a couple of different glow plugs also. I am using a 10% Nitro fuel.

Any ideas? I am about to chuck this engine and try something else. My frustration with this engine has kept me from driving it for years.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os max 21rf-b

You cannot get your engine adjusted properly if you are adjusting the idle mixture before you have the full-throttle mixture found and set.

When we break in an R/C car engine, we start out with the high and low-speed settings at the intial points as mentioned in the instructions. They are rich settings. We'll drive the car around with the glow ignitor on it and run up and down the parking lot, accelerating to full and back down. We'll gradually work the high-speed needle leaner a bit at a time. When the engine starts to accelerate cleanly, then we'll remove the glow starter and adjust the idle mixture a bit. Eventually, we'll get good high-speed and low-speed settings.

You can tell the engine's adjusted just about right when you can accelerate to full throttle and the engine will hold. You do not want it to come up to full and then go down in RPM.

[edit for typos]
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
zigcaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: os max 21rf-b

Thanks Bill!!

Leaving the glow plug plugged in did the trick in getting the high speed mixture correct... I ran 2 tanks of gas thru it and got it pretty close. I believe the idle is a bit rich and the high speed is a tiny bit lean, but that is for another day. I don't think my neighborhood will be thanking you though.

Brian