Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

AX46 tuning problem,,

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:11 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default AX46 tuning problem,,

back ground,,,
plane~ H9 Funtana 40, OS #8 plug, muffler Bisson Pitt #4046, fuel is Magnum 15%, prop is APC 11x8, all new fuel lines (medium size fuel lines), new fuel tank, this motor has been run/flown for about 2/3 gallon, fuel is fresh,,,,

idle screw,,,
the idle screw was set as per manual said "close the carb and adjust the idle screw to 3/4 open",,, the idle screw is now set just slightly closed from that 3/4 spot,, ""as throttle is advanced from idle motor does NOT hesitate below 1/2 throttle"",,,

problem,,
after letting the motor idle on the ground for about 20 second's the motor will hesitate at about 60%, 65% throttle when advanced from idle to full throttle (the motor flame'ed-out on the last flight), I know the high-end needle is NOT too lean..

question,,,
we had an OS 46 FX in this plane and it never ran right, could this muffler be to small for these motors ??

see muffler here,,,
http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...ting_id=114045

thank's for helping !! !!
Jim
Old 07-29-2006, 02:03 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: AX46 tuning problem,,

no need to reply !! I fixed it,,

I went to the field today and messed with it for about an hour, I kept richening the idle screw and at times it seemed to get better but it got to the point it was 4-stroking, well at that point it was not quite 1 turn full open, I was getting a little short tempered with it so I close the idle screw to the point where it was only 1/2 turn open and waa-laa it ran beautiful,,, the funny thing is I had it set at 1/2 turn open when we first started flying this motor, but it hesitated as I advanced the throttle, so at that time I set it as per the manual said (3/4 open),,, the idle screw on the 46FX we had in this plane was also set at 1/2 open, that's why I started at 1/2 open on the AX..

but it's fine now, it idle's beautiful and accelerates with no hesitation..

thank's anyway's
Jim
Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: AX46 tuning problem,,

We're glad you got it solved.