Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

vspec shim or no shim

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
the_yeti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vspec shim or no shim

Another quick question if I got 30% following break-in do I need to put the shim in or not. The directs state upto 30% you dont need a shim then states place the shim in with 30% or greater nitro. I appreciate your input. Will I need to idle it a tank with the 30% when I switch?

TY

Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: vspec shim or no shim

First off, you never "idle" an engine to run it in. You have to drive it. If you idle it for a tank or two, you've just insured a short life for the piston/cylinder fit.

Whether or not you need to add an additional cylinder head gasket is determined by how the engine's running. Listen to it carefully. If you detect a bit of "frying egg" sound, then you need to add an additional head gasket to lower the compression a bit.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM
the_yeti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vspec shim or no shim

Thank you.

I am glad to hear about no having to idle it as I have been running it/heat cycling it and not idling. Thanks again for the info on the egg frying sound