Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Is it worth fixing an old OS20??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 11:14 AM
troyp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth fixing an old OS20??

Hello,
I have an old OS 20 size engine and whilst trying to start it I noticed that there was a bit of fuel leaking out from the front of the engine where the crankshaft comes out. I am guessing that this is causing a loss in compression which is why I cannot start the engine. After pulling the engine apart I noticed some scuffing around the sleeve which would cause the leaking fuel and compression. I phoned my local LHS and asked them if they had this sleeve and was told by them that the OS 20 isnt made anymore so it would be hard to try to find parts for them. He also went on to say that more than likely the engine would have other problems and not be worth fixing and I would be better off buying another one such as an OS 40.
Would this more than likely be the case or is the LHS just trying to make a sale?

Regards,

Troy.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:40 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Troy:

Stop for a moment and think about it. Do you really entertain any notion whatever that the local hobby shop owner might be there without wanting to make a sale?

But his wanting to make a buck is immaterial in this instance: he gave you good advice.

Get a new engine, but not necessarily a 0.40 size. If the engine was in a good airplane, pick an appropriate size replacement. A modern 0.25 is generally a lot more powerful than the 0.20 was when new.

One little engine is OK,
. But get two, twins are the way.

Bill.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:06 PM
troyp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply Bill.
The engine isnt being used at all but I was hoping to build a small Spad plane and put it in that. The engine was given to me (Now I know why). Oh well will have to buy a 25 or similar instead.

Thanks,
Troy.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:37 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Troy:

Since the engine is not in use, if you buy another replace it with a larger engine. Go for the 0.46, that's a good compromise between expense and an easy flying size.

Or get two and build a twin.

Bigger is usually better. mate.
And with two you'll find it's great.

Bill.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To all,

Please avoid using the manufacturer's sections to answer questions and have discussions. These areas are for questions directly to the respective manufacturer/representative.

If the question doesn't belong in this area, we'll move it to the appropriate general discussion area.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Troyp,

It's normal for all model two-stroke engines to leak a bit from the front of the crankcase. If it does have a severe leak, it won't cause starting problems, though. That area has nothing to do with whether an engine will fire. The engine's compression is the key.

Your engine is old enough that parts haven't been made for it for q very long time. It also sounds like it's had considerable use, and may simply be worn out.

Your best bet would be to give it an honored place on the trophy shelf and purchase a new one.

Sorry we don't have a better answer for you.