Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

What's the difference between 120 Surpass (I), II and III?

Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 AM
TRoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference between 120 Surpass (I), II and III?

I have a "first generation" 120 Surpass with a pump (I don't know if "with a pump" is redundant) and was wondering what are the main differences are between the original Surpass (I), the Surpass II and Surpass III? Are some parts from the III interchangable with the one I have, such as pump, piston, cylinder liner, valves?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What's the difference between 120 Surpass (I), II and III?

The original O.S FS-120 Surpass had a pump with regulator and a special carburetor. The pump had a large brass screw in the middle so that the pressure could be adjusted somewhat. The FS-120 Surpass II had a different pump without a regulator, and a carburetor that had a velocity stack. The carburetor had the regulator in the FS-120 Surpass II.

The FS-120 Surpass and FS-120 Surpass II were identical except for the pump and carburetor. The pump of one cannot be used with the carb of the other.

The FS-120 Surpass III has a completely-different crankcase, crank, and other internal parts, not to speak of the pump and carb system, which are very different. It's different-enough that you really can't make an earlier FS-120 Surpass into a Surpass III.