Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Sara's science project: prop vs thrust

Old 09-24-2006, 07:17 PM
SaraP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sara's science project: prop vs thrust

Dear Mr.Bill,

My Father has three O.S. Max 0.46 AX engines. For my 4th grade science project I would like to investigate what prop has the the most static thrust. What props would you recommend for comparison?
Also, what books could I use as a source for information on props?

Thanks,
Sara
Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sara's science project: prop vs thrust

The only way to measure static thrust would be to take a wide variety of propellers and test them. Several props are mentioned in the instructions. You would want the engine to be propped to turn between 12,500 and 13,000 RPM, which is the best torque range, although you can run the engine up to 14,000 RPM and as low as 11,000 RPM and not really cause much damage.

You'll want to measure the RPM and the amount of pull. Pull can be measured by mounting the engine on a movable test stand that will allow you to use a spring scale (similar to a fishing scale) to measure the amount of pull.