Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

1.60 FX exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:38 PM
PropWrench
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.60 FX exhaust questions

Mr, Baxter,

I have a new 1.60 FX coupled with a MTW 26cc (Desert Aircrarft) in-fuselage quiet muffler with a header pipe all mounted to a Funtana Pro. I was told by Desert Aircraft that it will work for glow engines and that it is not a tuned pipe. I have struggled to get a gallon of fuel through it as EVERY flight ends with a half-to-full throttle flame out and a dead stick landing. I am running Cool Power 10% with a No. 8 glow plug. Out of desperation I installed a Perry pump with NO luck at all.

Yesterday, as a final attempt before burying the aircraft, I removed the cowling and installed a borrowed O.S. stock 1.60 FX exhaust........PROBLEM SOLVED! I am guessing that this is do to correct backpressure?

My questions: Have you had any experience with MTW exhausts? Are they compatible with glow engines dependent on backpressure? What other brands of in-fuselage exhaust systems will work for the 1.60 as stated in some of your other posts?

Thank you,
Propwrench
Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1.60 FX exhaust questions

We have NO experience with the MTW exhaust system. If it does not provide enough pressure to the fuel system, then you'll have to add some kind of restriction to increase muffler pressure, or add a pump to move fuel to your engine.