Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 160 burning up plugs

Old 11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 160 burning up plugs

I have an OS 160fx that was back from service. It keeps buring up the plug when we run it. As far as i remember, we had the needle at the setting per manual. Please help.

Thanks
Smokey
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 160 burning up plugs

If an engine has a high glow plug consumption, you need to look at the plugs to get an idea why. If the plug element is being deformed or is actually missing, then the engine is likely detonating, which means it's a bit lean. If it gets a glassy bead on the element, then dirt is likely. If it's becoming dark, then it's possible you have some kind of fuel contamination.

Also check the exhaust stream. If the oil is very dark, capture some of it on a white card. The oil residue will be absorbed into the card and you'll see any particulate matter remain. If it's metal, then something inside is seriously wrong, and that will also cause the engine to 'eat' plugs.

Usually, though, high plug consumption is caused by over-revving, over-propping, or just running too lean. Too-lean running can be caused by a bad needle setting, air leaks in the fuel system, vibration-induced fuel foaming, dirt in the fuel system, kinks in the fuel lines, and so on. You need to thoroughly-check the fuel/engine system to see what's going on. Sometimes, you need to put the engine on a test stand to locate the difficulty. If the engine will run "all day" on the stand, then the problem is external to the engine, and you'll have to look at the engine/airframe/fuel system combination.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 160 burning up plugs

Thanks for the info. I will do some tests and get back to you.

Smokey