Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

removing bearings in 46FX?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing bearings in 46FX?

I'm going to replace the rusty bearings in a 46FX. What is the best way to get the front bearing out? I've read about heating the case but with what...a torch, a heat gun or a hair dryer? I don't want to over heat it. I did it once before a few years ago without heat and it way a bugger!

Thanks, David
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: removing bearings in 46FX?

We have completely-disassembled the engine so that only the case and bearings is left. We then use a small propane torch. Just make sure to gently heat the case evenly. We move the flame all around the case to heat it up.

You can also use a heat gun, which takes a bit longer, and even use an oven...heat the engine to about 250-300 degrees F.

When the case has been heated, you just need to rap it against a block of wood and the bearings should just fall right out.

To install new bearings, heat the case (do NOT heat the bearings). You can then slide the rear bearing onto the crank, slide them into the case, slide the front bearing onto the crank and case, and make sure they're fully-seated. We usually use a piece of rod against the back of the crankshaft to tap the bearing into place. Using the crank insures that you install the bearings with the proper alignment.

Let the case cool, remove the crank to eliminate any loading on the bearings, and then reassemble the engine.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bax, How do you get the conrod off of the crank pin to remove piston. I have the sleeve out but cant figure this step out due to lack of clearance.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Birman

If you have the sleeve out, first mark the connecting rod with a Sharpie to identify the back of the rod. You want to put the rod back on with the mark facing you. Take the piston to bottom dead center. With the piston free of the liner there is enough slop to allow you to now be able to pull the rod off of the pin.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When the cylinder liner is removed, and the crankshaft is fully-forward against the bearing, you have enough room to slide the connecting rod off of the crankshaft.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bax, I figured that out right after I posted question. The engine was gummed-up and the rod was tight on the wristpin. I warmed the engine in the oven at 300 degrees for a very short period and everything loosened up. My wife came home and asked "what stinks?" LOL!!! I recently purchase the engine here on RCU. It was advertised as "bench ran only". Upon receiving it I immediately noticed signs of rust. I removed backplate and the horror struck. I completely dissassembled the engine. cleaned it internally including the carb. I am replacing the bearings. This is an excellent example of what happens when you run an engine and then simply put it back in the box without running out unspent fuel and no after-run oil. The engine is basically new but the bearings,crank, and carb barrel were under attack by the dreaded effects of oxidation/corrosion (RUST). The engine has been saved and the seller made restitution with me. Speedy
Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

My wife came home and asked "what stinks?" LOL!!!
When I heat up my engines in the oven to remove the rear bearings, I wrap them in foil first. It still just takes a small tap on the backplate opening to get the bearing to fallout and it keeps all the smell in until you take the foil off.

My wife wasn't a big fan of me stinking up the oven either, but this solution seems to work well.