Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS61RF

Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
keith_porthedland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS61RF

I need some information on the OS61RF. I have one fitted to an Aurora I bought second hand. It is performing really well since I fitted a fuel pressure system that allows the engine to TAKE what it needs instead of delivering pressure to the carby! Works great and constant fuel supply at all times through the flight with the aircraft in all positions. If I can get some information on mixture set up at idle and mid range as I don't really know the engine and I have been told that it can be adjusted at these engine ranges.

I am using an OS#8 glow plug but it only lasts about 10 flights. The OS web site suggests the #5 but have been told it is too cold a plug to get good success. I have ordered a couple of these but as I am located remotely, there is not a hobby supply shop around the corner. Any suggestions before I buy?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25102.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	571241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92353.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	571242  
Old 12-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS61RF

What propeller are you using, and at what RPM are you running the engine when it's at full throttle. The O.S. Max .61 RF engine would tend to run best when it's propped to turn just under 12,000 RPM on the ground. Many people used a pipe on Pattern-type airplanes and propped them for just under 10,000 RPM. That's really too low, and can give operating problems.

The low-end is adjusted with the eccentric screw that's next to the high-speed needle. Start out with it in the center of its travel. The midrange takes care of itself when you have the idle properly-adjusted. If your engine's pumped and regulated, then set the high-speed needle as lean as possible without RPM drop or detonation and leave it there. Then adjust the idle mixture. If you still have a midrange problem, then you may need to change the propeller to get the engine into a good RPM range, or eliminate your pump/regulator system, which may not be working adequately.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 AM
keith_porthedland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prop is a 12 x ??. There are no markings on the prop other than it is made by SUPERCOOL. I have peaked the engine and then set it on the rich side out of habit and it runs at 10,230 RPM. As you state I can actually peak it at max RPM due to the constant pressure to the tank and regulated flow at the carby end. I will let you know what it peaks at next time I run it, which will be this weekend. I am running at 10% nitro with 20% oil with a tuned pipe.

I really don't have any problems other than the glow plug lasting about 10 flights . What is the normal life span of a glow plug in a 60 size engine? I was told by one of the club members that this is normal! Are there any diagrams available for this engine?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you send an email to the addy below, we can send you the instructions, which should have a parts list and diagram.

As far as glow plug usage, if you run the engine at the low RPM, it will tend to go through plugs. We normally ran an APC 12 x 7 or 8 prop on the SF-series engines, and turned them in the high-11,000's with the stock muffler. With a pipe, you may be able to get a bit more propeller with the same RPM.

Your fuel is just fine, and won't hurt a thing.