Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 05:37 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head bolts

Two problems I have encoutered on two used OS engines I bought.

#1. Head bolts that will not back out of the block without stripping the hole. Previous owner said he has never taken the engine apart, but the bolts extreamly tight. Don't want to strip a second hole, would heating the block help.

The stripped bolt it will need to go out to at least 8-32. Should I use SAE or stay with metric, finer thread and is there any problem using anti seize on the blots when assembling an engine?

#2. Piston liner that doesn't want to go back in the block upon reassembly. The liner is going in square but will only go in about half way then stop. I don't want to force it any further. Looking at and feeling the inside of the block it appears to be smooth. I also had a difficult time geting the liner out. Block and outside of the liner have been lightly sanded with 600.

#1 is a low time OS 65 RSR and I don't want to damage it. I need to get it apart to have a new ring built.

Any suggestions would help.
Thx.

Rick :spinnyeye
Old 01-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default head bolts

Rick,

Usually, if a case bolt hole is stripped, we replace the case. With our RSR, it's not possible. You may wish to tap it out to the next larger bolt size that's just enough to get threaded properly. English or metric makes no difference.

If the liner won't go back in easily, and it's not out of round, and the case is smooth, please make sure both are clean. Burned fuel residue can cause a problem.

Make sure you use a good oil to lube them before assembly. Automatic transmission fluid and air-tool oil are both good to use. If it's still tight, you can heat the case a bit with a heat gun. The liner should drop right into a heated case.

If nothing works, your liner may be out of round. It could have been distored during removal. The only cure is a new liner.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:09 AM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head bo;ts

Thx Bill

Taped the case 8-32 and it worked. I checked liner and it was round. Heated the case, froze the liner and every thing is back together.

Thanks again,

Rick