Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Tuned exaust

Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 PM
hooty301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned exaust

Ive got a .61fx and am looking to get more power with tuned exaust. What would be best for this a tuned muffler like the one from Jett or a tuned pipe like a Macs pipe. Also heard that Performance Specialties Ultra Thrust is a good one.Where could I find it? Thanks for any info
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tuned exaust

The power "increase" with a tuned exhaust system is entirely dependent upon the RPM level you wish to run the engine. An engine tuned for RPM will use a different propeller and pipe setup than one for torque. Please realize that a tuned exhaust system will only be good for a very narrow RPM band, and most people with pipes tune for maximum RPM. Once you retard the throttle below maximum, the pipe becomes a very large muffler that gives you no boost.

Almost anybody's .61-sized tuned pipe will work for you. That's because you'll have to tune the exhaust system to match your engine/prop/fuel combination. Change any of those things, and you'll have to retune the exhaust system.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
hooty301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou,

What about the pretuned mufflers like the one from jett, do they give as much power as the tuned pipes. Also do you know where I could find the Performance Specalties Ultra Thrust Mufflers?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Pretuned" only means that it will work correctly if you get the engine turning in the pipe's RPM range. Check with the maker to see.

Contact Performance Specialties for their products. I think they sell direct.