Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

1.60 FX in a Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.60 FX in a Spitfire

Hi Bax, I'll be using a 1.60 in about a 15lb Spitfire. I want to use a 10" pitch, as it will look best going fast. No need for vertical, or 3D here. What diameter with the 10" pitch would you suggest ? I guess I'm asking, what RPM the 1.60 is going to be happiest at for reliable performance ? What should I Tach it at ?

> Jim
Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1.60 FX in a Spitfire

We'd expect an APC 16 x 10 propeller to turn RPM in the mid 8,000's with the stock exhaust system. If you went to a slightly-smaller diameter, and the resultant higher RPM, you'll get a bit more airspeed. Please remember that a propeller for speed doesn't climb as well and takes more distance for takeoff. It also has less of a braking effect when you idle down for landing.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

We'd expect an APC 16 x 10 propeller to turn RPM in the mid 8,000's with the stock exhaust system. If you went to a slightly-smaller diameter, and the resultant higher RPM, you'll get a bit more airspeed. Please remember that a propeller for speed doesn't climb as well and takes more distance for takeoff. It also has less of a braking effect when you idle down for landing.
And so, would the mid 8000's be considered the middle of the power band ? I wouldn't want to over rev it and damage the engine. Speed is nice, but so is braking. I'll essentially be flying for Sport, and I'm looking for maximum reliability. Would a 10" pitch be considered too much, and could you recommend a better sport prop ? I want to hold it at a reasonable, and reliable performing RPM without overreving.

Thanks Bax.

> Jim
Old 01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid-8,000's is the RPM range where the engine will give good power and good handling. It's below peak power, but allows a good idle as well.