Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FS-70SII Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 09:33 PM
rcflyerbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS-70SII Loss of power

I have an FS-70SII been useing for over a year. IT has about 48 hours of flight time on a Goldberg Tiger II. All of a sudden I have power loss on take off climb. On the bench it tacs up to 10.000-10.450 rpms with a 12X7 APC prop. The valve adjustments appear to be fine.

Any thoughts?.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FS-70SII Loss of power

flyerbob,

If the engine will run normally all day on the bench, but has problems in the model, the problem is not the engine per se, but in the engine/mount/fuel system/airframe combo.

If the engine tends to die lean on climbout, you need to make sure the fuel system's delivering fuel to the engine. Make sure the clunk in the tank is actually to the rear. Sometimes a hard landing can jam the clunk in a top forward position. As soon as the nose goes up, the engine leans out and dies from fuel starvation.

You can also be getting fuel foaming. When the model's on the ground, the vibrations are restrained slightly by the wheels and the modeler's hands. Once in the air, it's free to vibrate in all directions. This can cause air to be agitated into the fuel that's in the tank, and then the engine will lean out and quit.

Everything in the system needs to be checked. Obviously, something has changed. A little detective work should find it.