Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 55 AX

Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Jag001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 55 AX

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a new OS Max 55 AX. I have installed it in a new model however unfortunately due to the engine mounting angle and engine cowl arrangement I need to use a silencer extension.

This should not have been a great problem, I purchased the appropriate OS silencer extension (25425600) recomended in the engine manual. Which has left me a little confused and hence this post.

The silencer adaptor does not have the same internal dimensions as either the engine exhaust outlet or the original silencer inlet ? it is significantly smaller. Not only is it smaller, the passage through the adaptor is tapered. I am curious as to why the passage through the adaptor would be smaller than the engine exhaust outlet and the silencer inlet. I would have thought that this would cause a restriction of exhaust gases into the muffler and which could cause an increase in engine temperatures and perhaps a reduction in engine performance. Given that this adaptor is the one recomended in the engine manual I can only assume that this would not be the case however, I do have my doubts.

Secondly given that the adaptor passage is tapered I am left to wonder which way the taper should face? both of the mating sufaces are the same dimensions so the adaptor could be installed with either the larger passage opening toward the silencer or the engine exhaust.

I would be interested to hear others opinions on this.

cheers,

Jeff
Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 55 AX

It really doesn't make that much difference which way you position the extension, though having it widen away from the engine would be a little better. You may not experience much change in power because the muffler is going to be the determining factor. It has the most restriction.