Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 46 VXDF (or OS 46 VX-M) question

Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Boo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46 VXDF (or OS 46 VX-M) question

Hi,

I have a question about the OS 46 VXDF engine but I think any answer relating to the OS 46 VX-M will be the same.

I want in an in flight needle control function for this engine and I need to know if the OS In-Flight Control Needle Valve (OS part number 71703009) will work with the 40A carb fitted to this engine ?

Alternatively, there is mentioned in the instruction manual for the OS 46 VX-M (which uses the same carb) an optional item called a "Needle Control Lever" which attaches to the needle knob with a set screw. I cannot see a part number for this item which is at the bottom right of page 3 of the manual for the OS 46 VX-M. I presume that this would work just as well on the VXDF and would be grateful if someone could tell me the OS part number so I can try to order one.

Many thanks,

Boo

Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 46 VXDF (or OS 46 VX-M) question

This should work with your engine. It will replace the regular needle valve assembly:

OSMG6460 71703009 INFLIGHT NDL 40-120 US$35.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells O.S. Max engines and accessories.

The "Needle Control Lever" is only a part of the inflight needle assembly.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Boo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answer, I think I can obtain that part through Ripmax here in the UK.

If you don't mind, I have a subsidiary question relating to the fuel requirements of this engine :

I asked in another thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5284162/anchors_5284162/mpage_1/key_OS+46+VXDF/anchor/tm.htm#5284162]OS 46 VXDF fuel question[/link] what fuel is recommended and got somewhat conflicting replies, the concensus being that 20:20 (synthetic oil : nitro) is not enough oil and too much nitro. I would prefer to run this fuel to avoid carrying two types and the instructions state that a minimum of 18% preferably synthetic oil and up to 40% nitro is OK in this engine.

Can you resolve this conflicting advice for me ? I really would prefer to use YS 20:20 and will be fitting an in-flight mixture control so I expect to be in a position to avoid lean engine runs.

Thanks again,

Boo
Old 01-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use the 20/20 fuel, but for ducted-fan use, it would be best to use a fuel with about 23% oil content or so. That will protect the lower-end of the connecting rod at the high RPM levels the engine will experience. High levels of nitro aren't needed, and 15%-20% will usually do the job.

When running more "exotic" engines, you will have to have different types of fuel. You can't run all engines on the same fuel, so if you take very-different types of models to the field, they'll likely require different fuels and support equipment.