Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Running In an OS37SZ-H

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
PlaneHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running In an OS37SZ-H

What is the best way to run in a new OS37SZ-H.

The manual says just run it in in the heli using a rich setting.

Would it be better to run it in on a bench using a propeller.

If so, what prop size/pitch, and how. (Full throttle 4 stroking then 2 stroking for a couple of tanks as with the OS46/55AX).

Cheers
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Running In an OS37SZ-H

You can perform the breakin on a bench or in a heli. On the bench, use a prop like a 9 x 6 or 10 x 5 or so. You want the engine to turn up, but you also want enough airflow to provide cooling. Use the fuel you intend to fly with.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
HeliTB

I did mine on the Helicopter and it came out excellent. Heads up the mixture/low speed needle may need some leaning. They are suppose to be factory set but occassionally you'll find one that's not.

If you want to achieve the best performance possible out of that motor put a Hatori SAB 6RS on it, and watch the OS 37 scream.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 AM
PlaneHeli

HeliTB,

Cheers.

I ran in my OS32SX-H in the heli. Just wondering if it is more beneficial to run in with a prop. IE; at higher RPM and rich, as they recommend running in fixed wing engines. In the heli I will never get it to full power (except for a 2 second burst).

I really think the OS32 is lacking power, but maybe im expecting too much.

So Bax, Do you consider it better in your experience to run in with a prop or in the heli. What method do you use.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, please realize that NO ENGINE comes properly-set from the factory. "Factory" settings are only starting points.

As far as breakin is concerned, please remember that model engines break in best when they can be run at full throttle. Hovering at mid-level RPM in a heli is not necessarily a way to get a good breakin. If you can fly the heli at full throttle, then OK, but idle will be problematic for the first several runs. Do your initial running on a test bench for best results. You'll be able to run the engine enough to get the needles set fairly close so that you have a reasonably-good idle, transition, and top-end. Fine-tune the engine once you have it in the heli.

The main reasons for short engine life in helis are poor breakin and bad needle setting.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 PM
PlaneHeli

Thanks Bax,

I run in with a prop.

Cheers