Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS VR DF 91 with tuned pipe and prop option

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 PM
balsaeater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS VR DF 91 with tuned pipe and prop option

OS VR DF 91 with tuned pipe and prop option and zero nitro fuel and operational sea level

The funds wont allow the purchase of the RAM TEC in this time not before winter

I want to make the delta that will do the RAMTEC now but use the motor in prop mode for a few months

For cost reasons no Nitro or kicking and screaming will go to 5%
as its very expensive in my region more than $100 a gallon
and nearly doubles my fuel costs here per flight if I have to use nitro

for oil
prefer to go with highest rate or pure synthetic GloZ if possible and lowest oil content possible

but can get any mix in zero and 5% nitro

I dont reguire slow speed flight just flat out and kill motor for landing but if motor ticks over that handy

I want the smallest prop possible to the fastest forward speed max RPM that is less than 25,000 red line

would 10*10 APC be the best and can i do a slightly bigger slower fly 11*9 for trial flights first
and or simailar ratios for example 9*9 and 10*9

or 12*12 and 13*8

motor in prop mode and later in ram tec will be open exposed on rear of plane hotspot style

I prefer not to have to remove cyclinder head an shim and will live with less RPM

whats the best spark plug for zero nitro and 5% nitro

If in the future (unlikly) I put the motor in a light acro plane semi patern zero nitro what would best props 13.5 *5 or 11*7 ???

balsaeater

Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS VR DF 91 with tuned pipe and prop option

IF you use a propeller like the one suggested for breakin, you'll be OK. Take a 12-inch propeller and cut it down to 10 inches. Use one with an 8-inch pitch to start out. The instructions mention that you want to run the engine at about 18,000 RPM or so. That's also where you'll want to fly it. A ducted fan will limit the engine to that RPM, too.

For fuel, use one that has at least 23% oil content. 50% castor oil in the oil mix is highly recommended. Lower oil content will risk a broken connecting rod and damage to the rest of the engine when the connecting rod comes apart and sends metal throughout the engine. The high oil content is needed to make sure enough lubrication gets between the connecting rod and crankpin at high PRM.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM
balsaeater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS VR DF 91 with tuned pipe and prop option

thanks
keep you posted
have to locate my prop balancer for these cut down props

Balsaeater