Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS .91 surpass II w/Pumps leaks at regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:24 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS .91 surpass II w/Pumps leaks at regulator

hi Bill,

i've just completed a brief bench run-in on this engine and as i was looking things over as the engine ran, i noticed a drop of fuel dropping from under the fuel regulator. naturally one becomes intent on not wanting to believe it's a leak, so i wiped the area with a towel, gave it a few seconds, placed my finger up underneath the regulator and there is raw fuel on my finger..........is this normal?

i purchased 2 of these engines new from Tower back in Feb & March. if i need to send this one in, should i just go ahead and send the other one in as well for you guys to check them out?
i guess i can go ahead and run the other one now as well to see if it leaks too, but hate to run new engines and then leave them set for a long time.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:21 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS .91 surpass II w/Pumps leaks at regulator

well whad'ya know.............tested the second engine and same thing......fuel coming off the regulator even more so than engine 1.
but, the truth comes out......the OS supplied fuel line that goes from the pump to the regulator was the culprit, as it is almost the same ID as the nipple's OD........when looking very closely at the line to nipple attachment while the engine was running at top end, you could see tiny bubbles of fuel escaping. changed the line and the leak is gone..................did the same to engine 1 and after also tightening the inlet nipple, the leak was gone from that one too..........although it still is wet around the nipple, and this is probably due to a defective sealing washer.........
OS should at least send me a couple nipples and washers for saving them the time and parts to fix these babies, which by the way are a couple of animals............these engines both gave over 9.600 rpm's right out of the box on 10% swinging a TF 14x6.