Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

.61 FX wont Idle, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .61 FX wont Idle, please help

Guys,
First off, my .61 FX runs great at high speed, but we cannot get it to idle. I can't get the idle adjustment screw right I guess? It will either idle WAY too high, or after adjustment, it will be too low and die.
Also, I used to be able to start it with a chicken stick every time, but now it DEMANDS a torque starter. It won't suck fuel through the line when choking with your finger. I have to run a starter on it, to get it to suck fuel. Someone please help me. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul,

If the engine won't draw fuel when the high-speed needle's opened and you have blocked the intake, then it's entirely possible that the piston/cylinder fit is bad.

If the fit is too loose, then the crancase will not develop the proper suction to draw the fuel. The idle is the first thing to go when the compression fit starts to wear out.

It's also possible that the idle mixture is just 'way too lean. The "ball park" setting for the idle needle should be such that you see about a 5mm gap between the needle and the nozzle when the engine's at full throttle. This is a very rich idle mixture, and you'll have to lean it once the high-speed needle's set correctly.

If working with the idle needle doesn't help, you may need a new piston/cylinder assembly.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Paul Cataldo

Bax,
Thanks for your help. I feel really stupid now. The problem was that we were missing one of the screws that holds the carb onto the engine! I know, I know, dumb mistake. The stinking thing was sucking air, not fuel!

NOW,
Here is my ONLY other dilema. The engine runs fine, but why can't we adjust the low end needle without taking the throttle lever off? The throttle lever nut has a hole through it, so you can see the low end needle, but it WILL NOT move with the throttle lever tightened down. We have to take the throttle lever off, and then adjust the needle and then put the lever back on.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul,

There's a point where you can't richen the idle needle any more because it will hit the bottom of the retainer nut, but that would have the idle mixture so rich that your engine won't idle. There should be no problems getting the idle needle adjusted at other points.

Perhaps you need to take the carb apart to see what the problelm might be. Is there any trash inside the carb barrel that's interfering with the idle needle? Are the threads in good shape, and so on?

Those are the only things I can think of. Usually the o-ring on the idle needle provides enough friction so that it won't move around.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Paul Cataldo

Bax,
The carb is VERY clean. Not dirty, in fact, it never has been dirty. Relatively new engine. Anyhow, I still soaked all the parts and cleaned them anyway. Still, the problem persists. I have taken the throttle lever off, and adjusted the low end needle to the factory setting, and the engine runs and idles great, but I just can't adjust the low end needle without taking the throttle lever off. I don't understand it.