Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

I Stripped My Head's Plug Threads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:06 PM
sorter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Stripped My Head's Plug Threads.

As mentioned above, I've successfully stripped the threading for my glow plugs, out of the cooling head.

My engine is an OS Max .21 RF-b (i think it is model B because of the throttle, though im not 100%) It is discontinued as stated [link=http://www.osengines.com/parts/xr13930.html]HERE[/link] on the os engines discontinued page.

My question is, what can i replace this with?

I've found two heads on ebay;
[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6035576899&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT]THIS[/link] is an actual OS head, but the cooling fins look only half as deep as my original.
and [link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/Used-Associated-21-Engine-Head-no-scratches_W0QQitemZ200136283506QQihZ010QQcategoryZ 44028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]HERE[/link], but this one is team associated, it looks taller and has horizontal cooling fins as opposed to my original and the OS head i've found above.

I've never had to take an engine apart in my life, I run my engines cool, (under 250 degrees) rich, (way rich) and safe.
As this is my first engine rebuild, I am lucky I don't have to wrench too deep, But I still want to make sure (110%) that there is a head out there for my discontinued engine, and it will fit

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and many more thanks if you make a helpful post for me.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: I Stripped My Head's Plug Threads.

Could you possibly just use a tap to clean-up the threads on your current head? It doesn't work in every case, but I've been successful at saving a stripped head in the past.

Harry Higley's Glow Plug Tap 1/4-32
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL774&P=ML]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL774&P=ML[/link]
Old 08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
timfarrar

Sorter :

First of all if you take your head off the engine, Make a mark or dot with something with a sharp point so it cant be rubbed off.
Make the mark on the head and where it goes on the engine so that when you put it back together you get it in the same place ecxactly.
That is very important !!!

There is a guy in the Model Aviation Magazines that repairs the glow plug threads in the head.
Im looking at the May issue and it is on page 165
The add is in all the magazines though, you'll just have to look around.

He's not that exspensive and I know someone that used him before, I seen it and it was a great job.

His add tittles "STRIPPED GLOW PLUG THREADS" and his number is (818) 352 3766

I hope this works out well for you !

SEEYA, TIM
Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
sorter

thanksfor teachingme the optins i hav.
i will get this head machind with new threads
il also try that new head on it
its already inthe mail, so i hope it fits.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:50 PM
timfarrar

Sorter :

Thats great !

If you sent it to that guy I told you about, I have seen his work and I couldnt tell anything was ever wrong.
He did a great job.

Be sure and get the head back on exactly in the same position it was when you took it off.
Remember the marks I told you to put ?

Good Luck !!

SEEYA, TIM
Old 08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the damage is minor, you may be able to clean the threads with a 1/4-32 glow plug tap. If it's bad, then there is no "fix". You'll have to purchase a new cylinder head.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
timfarrar

Bill :

"Lee Custom Engines" does a great job at repairing stripped glow plug heads, My brother-in-law has one on his ASP 1.08

SEEYA, TIM