Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FT-300 Slow Transition

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 PM
valdesj76
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FT-300 Slow Transition

Hello,

I have a FT300 installed in a GP CEII. The engine is not new, but it seemed to be perfectly fine until lately. My problem is the stransition from idle to full throtle. It takes around 2 secs to respond. If I leave it running in idle for around 30 sec. the transition is much worse. When landing this gets critical if wanting to add 1 or 2 clicks of throtle.

After landing and runing the engine on idle (after a 10 min flight), I get an oscilating sound (variation of RPM's).

I've noticed one piston with a slightly better compresion than the other one. Also, when tuning, I see one cilinder seems to run leaner than the other one. Reading through the forums I understand this is normal.

I would appreciate it if you could give me ideas or directions of how to fix my engine. It seems that the 2 variables are the valve clearance and the "mixture control screw". I've tried moving the screw an 1/8" of a turn at a time both ways with no good results.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FT-300 Slow Transition

You may need to lean the idle mixture of your engine a bit. If that doesn't help, you may need to add an onboard glow plug battery to help the plugs stay lit at low throttle settings.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
valdesj76
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FT-300 Slow Transition

Thanks for the info Bax.. I do run my engine with a McDaniels on board glow driver system. That works great. Just to make sure I'm doing the idle mixture correct, turning the screw clockwise = leaner, turning the screw counter-clockwise = richer, correct? Just want to make sure because the screw moves out when turning clockwise.

thanks again!