Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

46 LA Dead sticks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM
gjhamp
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46 LA Dead sticks

Flown in a uproar all summer with no problems, then began to dead stick on me. It starts and Idels perfectly and will fly for maybe 3 min. be fore the dead stick. I have changed plugs (A-3 and #8) I have richened the mixture thinking it might be leaning out in flight with no luck. The fuel tank and all lines have been inspected and or replaced. The exhaust has been inspected also. I have been using 10 % with 20 % synthetic oil, no castor. The manual dosent say it requires castor.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 46 LA Dead sticks

If the engine runs a few minutes and then quits, it's usually overheating. Make sure the cylinder head and rear cover are properly screwed-down and are sealing. If the engine ran well for quite a while and then suddenly started to act up, you'll have to inspect things carefully to see what changed. Did the fuel line go bad? Dirt? Air leaks? and so on. Check carefully.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
illusion
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 46 LA Dead sticks

Hi, just thought I would tell you to check the head gasket,its probably buggered.
If at some time you overprimed your engine or flooded it and then hit it with the old electric starter without realising,it will spit fuel out between the head and barrel,and this indicates a blown head gasket.
It will as you say fly for a couple of minutes before dying.
Easy fix get a new head gasket.
Have fun.