Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 60 FP engine vibration????

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 PM
ronofnc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 60 FP engine vibration????

OK- I have bought this used engine, OS FP .60 that revvs up and runs perfectly at all speeds except near idle at that time it vibrates like, well a vibrator. When starting it starts at one quarter open and vibrating bad but accerates perfectly and maintains excellent sound until i get near idle again and the vibration starts. Yes I have checked the spinner, prop, and the motor mount, all ok.
Somthing inside the engine seems to be at fault. I did take the back off and with a flash light looked down into the engine and did see the color brown at the front of the engine-was this rust? I could not scrape anything off the brown onto a thin screwdriver blade
so who knows?? Do I need to buy a new engine? The engine is a ringed engine that has excellent compression when cold but little when hot I suspect this is normal. Thanks in advance for all advice.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 PM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 60 FP engine vibration????

Hello

I am still using my OS 60FP from the early 90s, and it is a fantastic engine. I have not experienced the vibrations that you are dealing with.
One suggestion is to make sure that the prop is parallel to the ground at the top of the compression stroke (TDC). I have all my engines set up this way.
Im not sure if this will fix your problem but its a suggestion.

On a side note, this engine is an ABC engine and not ringed.

Ryan
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
ronofnc

I'll try that. Thanks I agree the engine is an excellent eengine, I had another but had a dumb spell and sold it. I think I will also check everything else one more time!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is normal for the FP-series of engines to have some vibration or clatter at low to medium throttle settings. That's because the crankshaft is supported by a bushing. Because of that, it can "float" fore and aft when the engine's running at low throttle settings. The vibration/clatter is normal. If you go to a fuel with higher levels of oil, especially castor oil, the oil will cushion the clatter and reduce vibrations. 20%-22% castor oil in the fuel would be very good.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM
ronofnc

Thanks, I'll try that, it seems there are a lot of vibration problems- I found them in the regular post under vibration. I'll try to find the problem a little while longer I like the challenge, if I am not succesful I will just buy another.