Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 18 CV-RX one-way bearing slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:02 PM
catbutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 18 CV-RX one-way bearing slip

I have been having oil residue getting into my one-way bearing causing it to slip constantly, which has caused me to have to replace it once already. I have also replaced the backplate and output shaft due to the fact it had too much lateral play, causing (I believe) the first bearing to go. I did not notice the bearing slipping because I was using the Rotostart and it ate the shaft, I have since switched to a pull-start so I can feel if it slips. Even with the new bearing, backplate and output shaft, I still get oil in the one-way. When I drive the car, after I shut it off it won't catch due to the oil in the bearing. I have to pull the rear end off, clean the bearing and backplate and reassemble everything in order to get the bearing to catch for re-start. Needless to say, this is getting old fast. What I need to know is /A: What is causing this /B: If anyone else running the OS 18 CV-RX is having this issue and /C: What can I do to remedy this? My car mechanic buddy says this problem is inherent to the design, the notch in the output shaft which fits onto the crankshaft makes the output shaft out-of-balance and at the high RPMs these engines pull causes vibration which wears the bushing and shaft- result, leaking engine oil down the shaft and into the bearing. Now this may be true, but these items are brand new, only used a total of maybe 4 hours, I hope they don't wear that quickly. I read some posters who had this same problem, but only after gallon(s) or at least tanks, mine has this problem after just ONE run of any length, let alone a tank. This is not acceptable, as I have not had this happen with any other engine I have owned. I love the OS 18 otherwise, but having to disassemble my rear end after EVERY run is insane. The only fix that I can see is to put on a standard backplate, get a new flywheel and a bumpstarter. This is not a viable solution and should not be needed, but I can't take this problem much longer. Not to mention the money I have already had to put out for the new bearing, backplate and output shaft. This is money I could have spent on the bumpstarter (which I don't really want) or on useful upgrades for my car, not on fixing problems in an otherwise awesome engine. I trust OS is a company that will take care of it's good customers and will help me out here, I am a die hard OS fan and prefer to continue to use OS products. The only other engines I own that are not OS came in my RTRs and get swapped for OS counterparts quickly. They then become costly paperweights. My OS 18 is about to join them if I cannot get this worked out. Up until now I have had no complaints about any OS I have owned and have caused many friends to buy OS as well. This, however, is a real black eye on the record books. Please help, any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 18 CV-RX one-way bearing slip

Without seeing the engine, we'd not know why your engine has that particular difficulty. It could have a bad one-way bearing, or it could have a start shaft that's a bit off. Also, if a lot of oil is coming through the rear cover along the start shaft, you could have a bad rear cover. Again, it's not possible to say without sending the engine to us.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM
catbutt

All the above items (one-way bearing, rear cover and start shaft) have been replaced and the problem persists. I would have thought that after replacing all of the offending components the issue would be resolved, but sadly this has not been the case. I posted most of the above in the MT2 forums and another well respected poster mentioned perhaps I am running a bit too rich and leaning out may alleviate the problem. This makes some sense, if I am indeed running too rich the excess oil and fuel has to go somewhere, and as you stated in another post with the same problem, some oil should coat the start shaft to lubricate this area. Perhaps with a rich setting more oil gets forced on the shaft. Let me know if this sounds feasible. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
catbutt

I guess you are done helping me out here? Suppose I am just going to have to contact OS personally to get any advise on my problem. No offense, but it seems you did not fully read my post, as the answer you offered seemed to disregard the fact that I have replaced ALL the items you mentioned could be at fault and the problem remains. I restated this in my second post and have gotten no response. I had hoped for something that would help me solve my problem without having to send in my engine or list parts I have already replaced. The best help I have gotten so far has been from another poster who runs a hobby store. My disappointment cannot be fully expressed with words. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We deleted your most recent post due to its being an argument and complaining that we'd not gotten to you within a few hours of your post. Please realize that we usually answer posts once per day, and we aren't always able to answer every day. We don't live online.

Regarding your engine. If it continues to have difficulties with the one-way bearing, then you may wish to send it to the service center so that we can see what's going on. If it only works for a single tank of fuel, either something's wrong with the parts, or something's being done to them. It's impossible to determine a problem if we cannot see the parts involved.

Please ship your item to:

Hobby Services
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite 1
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Package your item(s) carefully against shipping hazards. Please make sure it's insured against loss or damage in shipping. Include a letter with your name, return shipping address, daytime telephone #, Fax, Email (as much contact information as possible), and a detailed description of the problems you are having with your equipment. If your item is still within the warranty period, please enclose a photocopy of the purchase receipt to validate any warranty claims. As soon as it arrives, we'll take care of you as quickly as possible.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:53 AM
catbutt

I'm done here.