Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Customer loyalty and OS parts supply

Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Customer loyalty and OS parts supply

hi Bill,

i know you've been telling people who ask for parts for outdated engines that once the spare parts are gone, it's gone for good....................but since we all know that OS makes one of the finest for the price engines in any class, why not at least produce parts for the best of the best sellers?
now don't get me wrong, just because i have taken an interest in "Classic Pattern" flying and have been buying up the 61FSR and SF versions of this engine, it doesn't mean that i'm the only guy in town who is in need of piston/sleeve combos for either...................there are quite a few thousand modelers such as myself that find it rediculous to have to bench a perfectly good OS engine just because OS finds it to be convienant to discontinue parts.

we turn to you on this matter because you obviously would have an influence with OS, and i ask if you may, at least take the time to convey our concerns to OS for the matter of parts for older but extremely popular engines.................whad'u say?

thx
-mike
Old 10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Customer loyalty and OS parts supply

Basically, once an engine has been out of production for more than five years, worldwide parts demand falls to such a low level that it is not economical for O.S. to keep them in production. The worldwide demand for old parts is so low that even if O.S. took orders for a full year and then made only those parts, the price would have to be at such a level that most of those buyers would back out. Experience over the years has shown that it's just not worth it. The demand is just too low for O.S. to make parts for those older engines.

Also, even though there appears to be a "lot" of demand for the older "Pattern"-type engines, the number actually needed is very, very small when the worldwide market is considered.