Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

os 46ax rear bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 AM
presso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 46ax rear bearing

I have just replaced the rear bearing in my 46ax after approx 40 flights on my trainer of 10-15 min per flight.When i fitted the new bearing i noticed there was some very very slight scuffing on the inside of the backplate.I have done 1 hours flying after the repairs and have now removed the back plate to make sure things are ok,the scuffing seems to have increased now,the oil discharge was nearly clear after running.My question is how long should the bearings last under normal operating conditions and should there be any marking of the backplate under normal operating conditions.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: os 46ax rear bearing

Some swirl marks on the rear cover are normal. That's because the connecting rod will 'float' on the crankpin. As long as they are slight polishing marks, you'll be OK.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM
presso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats good news,do you know if higher quality bearings are available for the 46ax either after market or genuine.Many thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Higher quality" bearings would be somebody's opinion. You can certainly pay more, but you'd not necessarily get better performance from them. We've always had great success with the stock ones.