Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 120 Surpass pump Mk1 or How to Save the pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 10:25 PM
pancake
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 120 Surpass pump Mk1 or How to Save the pump

I started the engine today and it appears to run fine. BUT. How good or long do the pumps work. What causes them to fail. Or how do i Prevent future damage since parts are unavailable. Would like to use the engine but am worried the pump will fail through improper use. Is there any thing i can do to exrtend the life. Shame OS doesn't support these expensive products.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:55 AM
mrfixit_mx

****deleted by Moderator*****

Please note that this is not a general discussioin forum, but a forum for modelers to obtain feedback from the O.S. Max service center in North America.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:31 PM
pancake

Default Surpass 120 mark 1

this is the original pump with the gold screw in the back and the c12 carb.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the engine is run properly and fairly consistently, the pump system will last quite a while. The main problem encountered is drying out of the regulator diaphragm. If the engine's not run for several weeks, the diaphragm can dry out, and it will take 3-4 tanks' worth of fuel to get it working again. For the casual modeler, this caused frustration.

The engine was originally designed for F3A Pattern, and the original instructions recommended fuel with 20% nitro and 20% oil.

The setting instructions on the FAQ pages still apply:

http://www.osengines.com/manuals/index.html
Old 04-09-2003, 02:32 PM
pancake

Default Another ? on the pump

Thanks for your reply.

Well i guess i have to ask what do you consider a while? The engine is already at least 15 years old. Do you suggest just running the engine to lube it or is there some better way to keep the diaphragm lubed and with what ? (oil) in the off season (6 months). I guess i should be impressed the diaphragm still works.

It seems other folks have had questions on this because there seem to be quite a few posts on pump operation and pump failure.

I've read the other posts on replacing the pump with the newer pump and carb from the mark2 surpass but that seems overly expensive.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For long-term storage, just flood the lower-end of the engine with an after-run product and bag the engine. You'll have to run several tanks' worth of fuel when you start to use it again to make sure the regulator's working correctly.

Almost all of the running problems we've seen with the FS-120 Surpass engine, in all its versions, is not running it often enough, and not running it lean enough. If the idle's too rich, and you've leaned it as much a possible, the high-speed needle's too rich.

The engine must have the high-speed needle leaned as far as possible without detonation or RPM drop and left there. Do not lean and then richen. The pump prevents the usual leaning that happens as the fuel tank drains. Too-rich running is usually the source of most idle and acceleration problems.