Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FS-91SII Fuel doesn't flow to carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
jbeauford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS-91SII Fuel doesn't flow to carb

I have my FS-91SII mounted on a Sig 4 Star. I bought it new and flew about a gallon through it and then crashed on a very windy landing. Stalled and cartwheeled from about 3 feet in the air. The engine did not appear to be damaged (the prop wasn't even broken). This happened on 8/31/07. Repairs weren't extensive, but I just now got around to completing it this weekend (5 months after the crash).

The engine started on the first try, but it was spitting a lot of fuel out of the exhaust, running very roughly, and stopped running after about half a minute. Can't get it started again. No matter how long I spin the prop with the starter, fuel won't come from the tank to the carb. It will draw fuel when I cover the carb intake with my finger and spin the prop counter clockwise, but the fuel just pours out of the carb when I take my finger away.

It has never done this before. What could be wrong with it?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FS-91SII Fuel doesn't flow to carb

With an upright-mounted engine, you will naturally get fuel running out of the carburetor after choking. That's because the carburetor is pointing down. We always get fuel runoff after choking an upright-mounted 4-stroke engine.

If your engine used to run correctly, but will no longer do so, then you need to check things out. Go through the entire fuel system to make sure it's OK. Mount the engine on a test stand to see. If your engine is the pumped version, then the regulator or pump may have been damaged in the crash. That would certainly cause difficulties.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
jbeauford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll give it the once over and see what I find out. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll bet the pickup tube in the tank is flipped forward kinking it. A common thing to happen after a very rough landing or cartwheel.
Ralph White, Neoga, IL