Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FS56a RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
martinoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS56a RPM

Bax, what RPM range should I expect in a FS56a turning an APC 13x6?

Thanks and regards
Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FS56a RPM

We don't have an RPM number for that specific propeller. However, if you have an RPM level in the mid-to-high-9,000's when leaned to just rich of peak RPM, you have the engine running correctly. Even low-10,000's is OK.

Any propeller that will give you that performance is "correct", as long as your airplane flies the way you desire it to fly.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 AM
martinoto

Bax, thanks very much.
Do you have numbers for any brand of 13x6? Sorry to bother, but I want to replace my FS70 Surpass II, which does 10,000 RPM on a 13x6, and want to know if FS56a would do the job, since the information I saw on Tower suggested 13x6 as an option. I just want to know if power is comparable between this two engines.

Thanks and regards.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Bax

No. A smaller engine will have lower power. Don't expect the FSa-56 to turn the same-size propeller at the same RPM as the FS-70. It will turn lower RPM with the same propeller because the smaller engine has less power.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 AM
sevans16

there are numbers listed in the tach section. Do a search for alpha
Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
sevans16

I have read the the valves may need to be adjusted after initial break-in in other threads. Is this something I should check??

This is my first 4 stroke and it seem valve adjusting is part of the routines maintenance. Just do not know when to do it or check it??
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Bax

After the first few hours, the valve lash should be checked. Then once or twice a season should be enough. A small amount of valve noise is tolerable, but loud clatter is not, just from a noise standpoint. Valve ticking won't hurt the engine.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:25 PM
kurtu

I have a 56FSa which ran great initially, but now runs poorly. It is only a few months old. The motor idles well, but cuts out when I try to advance the throttle. The valves have not been adjusted, but I pulled the valve cover off and they are not too tight. I have had other club members look at the motor and evryone has walked away scratching their heads. Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Bax

First off, we'd suggest that you remove the engine from the aircraft and put it on a test stand. Make sure the fuel system is good, the fuel is good, you have a good glow plug, and you have a good glow plug battery. Then use the instruction manual to put the carburetor back to the initial settings suggested by the factory. These are only starting points. Now run your engine and see what's going on. If you have good fuel, good compression, and a good glow plug, the engine should fire. If it can keep getting fuel, then it should continue to run.

Dirt in the fuel system, air leaks in the lines, and so on, will all contribute to bad running. If the engine won't run much above an idle, then it's likely that dirt is in the system, blocking good fuel flow, but you'll need to go through it carefully and completely.