Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FS-52 4stroke in hot weather.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
SolarWinds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FS-52 4stroke in hot weather.

Dear Bax,
I have a new OS FS-52 which runs fine. That was perfect during winter, with temperatures around 15-18 Celcius.

Now, although I am richening the mixture, the engine is too hot to touch it and sometimes quites during flight.
Ambient temperature is 35 degrees! It is too hot to fly!!!.

Do I need to readjust the vlave clearance? And if so, do I need to enlarge the gap or what????

Thx,
Yannis Solaris
Greece
Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS FS-52 4stroke in hot weather.

It's normal for an airplane engine to become too hot to touch when you just finish a flight. Many times, the cylinder head is hot enough to give a severe burn to the skin. We've measured 375 degrees F on a perfectly-running engine...not a problem at all. If the engine quits in mid-flight, you need to check the fuel system to make sure you're getting good fuel delivery to the engine. Also make sure the engine is getting good cooling airflow. Many times, a cowl looks like it has enough airflow, but the air doesn't actually pass through the fins of the cylinder and cylinder head. You may need to install baffles to insure good cooling airflow.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 AM
SolarWinds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS FS-52 4stroke in hot weather.

Thanks