Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

too much heat for 46fx?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:09 PM
mullenc525

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too much heat for 46fx?

hi

i have a 46 fx engine, in a 5lb tiger 2. I am redoing the model, and have bought a macs header and made a mousse can muffler. The 46 is spinning an apc 11-7 at 13+ k rpms. also, I built a beautiful FG cowl for the model, and it also has an internal exhaust. Will this engine be too hot? There is a 1cm by 1cm hole 90 degrees to the airstream right in front of the carb, and the cylinder head sticks out about 1.5 cm. is this enough cooling or will it get too hot? i felt sorry for it just running it on the test stand, it seemed so hot, but then i dont know.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default too much heat for 46fx?

Sorry, but we'd not be able to tell you if your setup will cool the engine well enough or not. As long as the engine gets good airflow through the fins of the cylinder and cylinder head, it will be sufficiently cooled.

It is not uncommon for a model aircraft engine to be running hot enough to cause severe burns if it's touched. We've measured 2-stroke engines at 375 degrees F with a contact probe on the airflow stagnation point at the rear of the cylinder head just above where it joins the rest of the case. The engines were running just rich of peak RPM, and running very well.