Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

FS 91 SII FI HELP!!!! anyone who knows

Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
coindex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS 91 SII FI HELP!!!! anyone who knows

I just bought this engine, hooked it up to my engine test stand and gave it a go today. I never installed a check valve on the vent line or a fuel filter, and the engine would run for approx. 30sec - 1min before it would stall out. It would also stall out if I increased the throttle or decreased it all the way. Once I get the fuel filter and the check valve will my engine run properly????? Here is some info which could be useful, I will also post some pics if anyone knows if these wires are in there proper positions.

I have set the low and high LMT(limit settings) according to my servo setup.
The servo is y'd to the receiver and to the electronic control unit (EC-2)
The aux (trim) coming from the ecu is connected to my aux 2 channel of my transmitter for adjustment
The injector and rpm sensors are connected correctly to the ecu and engine

When I turn the whole system on and I go to adjust the aux trim, should you be able to hear anything from the injector as though the inector is making the air/fuel mixture rich/lean? I don't hear anything.
According to the manual the lights should blink when I am adjusting the injection trim. They don't blink though it will change at a certain spot.
When I did run the engine, I tried to adjust the injection trim and I still did not hear or see any difference in the mixture setting, seemed like nothing happened.
The metal tube connecting the vent line is where I will be putting the check valve one way airflow from engine to tank
The fuel filter I will install on the carb/injector line

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94574.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1108762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94272.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1108763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81384.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1108764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62162.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1108765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68397.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1108766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41379.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1108767  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: FS 91 SII FI HELP!!!! anyone who knows

There could be several things wrong...you could have a bad injector, a bad sensor, or a bad control unit...or any combination of the three. We'd not be able to tell unless we had the engine to run it and see what's wrong.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
coindex

Well, I picked up my check valve, fuel filter and hooked everything up. Started it up and it idled perfect, increased throttle to mid and it ran not to bad tried to move it full throttle and it would die on me. Found out after re reading my manual that I need to adjust my injection trim differently. Battery needed charged so I charged it up. Went to reconnect battery and stupid me not thinking hooked the battery connection to my AUX1 connection and not my switch connection. My ECU started smoking I immediately disconnected everything and then noticed I plugged the battery in the wrong darn spot.
NOW....I find that it will cost me $300.00 to get a new EC-2 control unit brand new but no one has this unit in stock and no one knows when anyone will get stock from Japan.
Is there a place in Japan I can order from to get this part?

DIAGNOSIS:
I took a look at the damage of my ECU. The circuit board all looks alright other then this one cap or whatever it is (little black box) that is charred. I will post a pic of the ECU. Think this is repairable? I checked my receiver out and everything works fine.
As you can see in the picture the condensors(i think they are) #101 and 47 don't look affected (charred) but the one to the right of 101 is burnt. The gold circuit looks ok, its not broken or busted anywhere.
Any insight on this?? Where I can get this fixed or buy one? Used or new whatever route would be cheaper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54321.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1110430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80430.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1110431  
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sorry to hear that. This is what happens when you buy an OS. They do not support there products with parts after the engine is discontinued.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 AM
coindex

That's alright, I sent my ecu away to hobby services in the states and they got me a new ecu for half price, not to bad I suppose to I paid it. Product came back to me and it works great now. Just overhauled my engine and found that the rocker arms wern't even opening my valves because of the hold down screw which holds the rocker guide was almost right out. Tightened that screw up, adjusted my valves, now ready to put everything back together and get it running again. I can't see a problem with the engine not running now.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

I am sorry to hear that. This is what happens when you buy an OS. They do not support there products with parts after the engine is discontinued.
We let this post stay because this poster is not correct. O.S. will typically have parts produced for at least five years after the engine has been discontinued. Many times, it will be quite a bit longer, if the engine was especially popular. They will offer parts support as long as it's economically feasible. Usually, though, parts demand falls so low about five years after the engine's been discontinued that it's not even economical to take orders for an entire year and then make only that number of parts.

Most times, even after O.S. has discontinued the parts, we'll still have some stock so that we can offer support until that stock runs out. We'll support O.S. engines for as long as we can. Even then, we can offer such support as offering part numbers, parts diagrams, instructions, and so on. Those items can help modelers locate parts that may be out there as "new old stock" that some retailers may have.