Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FT-120 prop

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 04:10 PM
BillHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FT-120 prop

I have an OS FT-120 Twin that I plan to put in a scale plane this summer. The specified prop size is 16x6.

The prop nut for this engine has a 1/2" diameter internal shoulder and the prop hub must be drilled to 0.500" for this shoulder. I have been using a wood prop for break-in and bench-running.

The composite props (Master Airscrew) that I looked at did not have solid hubs which would allow the use of a 1/2" hole. Drilling the 1/2" hole required for this engine would eliminate the central part of the prop hub and leave only the radial webs and the outer hub.

After break-in and debugging the new plane, I'd like to get away from the wooden prop and get something scale like a Master Airscrew K-series or Classic-series in an 16x6 or 18x6 size. An APC has a solid hub, but it does not look scale enough.

Is it allowable to drill out the central part of the Master Airscrew prop for use on this engine? What brand of props can be used?

Thanks,

--Bill Harris
Old 06-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OS FT-120 prop

Bill,

We're not that familiar with the Master Airscrew props. We usually use wood or APC.

For flying, we like APC the best because they're the most efficient. If you need something for scale appearance, we'd suggest getting/making a prop for display purposes, only. When the engine's running, you can't see the prop, anyway, so it doesn't make much difference which one you use.

We'd be very reluctant to drill a prop if it removed much of the support in the center.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:32 PM
BillHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS FT-120 prop

I'd be reluctant to drill too much from the center of the webbed hub in the MA prop, but I thought I'd ask. Wood or APC props are do-able.

Thinking it over, I figure I prefer Master Airscrew props from my early days: they survive prop strikes during arrival events much better than APC or wood.

Thanks!

--Bill