Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 91 FX

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
hulio516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 91 FX

What is making my OS 91 FX engine "cackle" even at full throttle? Would it be the high end, low end, replace glow plug or what? I am running a 13-8 prop on it.

I'd like some possible answers please.

thank you

Edited...I moved this to the beginner section...maybe someone in there can tell me. I'm in a hurry.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 91 FX

We'd not know what you mean by "cackle".  Describing a sound in words is difficult.  If the engine is breaking-up in tone, it may be too rich, the muffler may be making a noise, you may be getting detonation from an over-lean condition or overheating.  An over-lean condition can be caused by dirt in the fuel system, a bad needle setting, vibration-induced fuel foaming, and so on.  Overheating can be caused by bad airflow through the fins of the engine, a fuel with a too-low oil content, too much propeller load, and so on.

Your best bet is to put the engine on a test stand and run it there.  If it's fine on the stand, then the problem lies with the engine/airframe/fuel system combination, and will require some detective work.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 AM
hulio516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 91 FX

I solved the problem.....

All I had to do was replace the glow plug. Even though I only had about 3 flights on the new original plug I was using, for some reasonthat plugwent bad. I guess I was puzzled in the beginning since it was a new plug with only 3 flights on it.

Easy fix!

thanks for replying Bax