Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 160 Overheats

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 10:38 AM
cwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 160 Overheats

I have an OS 160 in a Hanger 9 Cap 232, the Matt Chapman one. After starting and taking off all is fine with plenty of power. Then like clockwork after 3-4 minutes engine looses power, when this happens I land and the engine is extremely hot. I opened up the cowl so that I have more exit air than inlet air. I have tried different props from 17 X 10 to 18 X 10. Tried different fuels, all new cans from 5 percent to 15 percent nitro with the same effect. Fuel tank seems to be in the right position as related to the carburarator. I haven't tore the enigne down yet but am at that stage now to check the sleeve and piston. Was wondering if I should add a head shim if one is not there, or should I try a Cline regulator? Also I am using a Brisson Pitts style muffler in it. Please help. Thanks, Chuck
Old 06-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OS 160 Overheats

It's possible the engine's going lean from low fuel flow. Many aftermarket mufflers just don't pressurize the tank enough to give you good fuel flow.

Cooling is also something to check. Large inlets and outlets don't guarantee good cooling. You must make sure the cooling air actually flows through the fins of the engine. In large models, baffling is a necessity. If you can look into the inlets and see the outlet, without the engine in between, then that's how the air is going, and it's not going over the engine.