Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

18TZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 PM
tryingagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18TZ

We recently put an OS 18TZ in my son's RC10 GT2. Trying to get it started the first time was a beast. It was suggested to us and we tried: a heat gun to loosen the pinch, loosening the glow plug to reduce the compression (didn't sound right to me but...) , bouncing the truck repeatedly on the started box to try to coax it through compression. We have now had it running 6 or seven times (bounce method was the only one that seemed to work) but starting it is still a hassle. We cannot "spin" the engine and cover the carb to prime it because the starter box will not "spin" the engine unless the glow plug is out. (Besides that would require removing the air filter every time we wanted to start it.) I am sure this results in over or under priming. Blowing through the pressure tube is not an exact science. We have decided to hate the starter box and are wondering if there is an easier way to turn this engine over. We are tired of having to stop trying to start it and unjam the engine when it sticks at the top of the stroke.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 18TZ

Your engine is a nice and tight one. The only way to make it easier to turn over until it becomes well-broken-in is to use a heat gun to loosen the piston/cylinder fit. If you tried a heat gun and it didn't work well, then either it wasn't used long enough to heat the engine, or the heat gun isn't hot enough on its own. A hair dryer won't work because it won't make enough heat.