Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 110FSa exhaust silencer keeps coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Red Falcon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 110FSa exhaust silencer keeps coming loose

I have purchased the OS 110FSa and placed it on a TF P-47 60 size inverted. I also used the 90 degree header to keep the exhaust inside the cowl with the port sticking out the bottom of the cowl. My problem is the exhaust silencer keeps coming loose from the locking bolt next to the silencer. I have tried Permatex high-temperature thread sealant, no success. I then tried locktite (red) waited 24 hours and today it moved again slicing my exhaust deflector and damaging my cowl. I made sure the locking bolt was tight and had an experienced co flyer check it also. I am frustrated! Does the FS120 silencer fit on this engine? Maybe the 110 silencer is to heavy behind the engine and the vibration shakes it loose? I do not know anymore! Also today I have noticed that black sut is going back into my tank from the exhaust back pressure!?!? Can you please give me some tips or recommend a smaller old style four stroke exhaust that will fit this engine? [&o]
Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 110FSa exhaust silencer keeps coming loose

Basically, you'll need to restrain the muffler body. Just having it held onto the engine at the case isn't enough. The engine will vibrate around, and it will cause the muffler to move around. This will loosen the jam nut. Add a hold-down at the muffler body, and you'll be fine.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
padlock
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 110FSa exhaust silencer keeps coming loose

ORIGINAL: Bax

Basically, you'll need to restrain the muffler body. Just having it held onto the engine at the case isn't enough. The engine will vibrate around, and it will cause the muffler to move around. This will loosen the jam nut. Add a hold-down at the muffler body, and you'll be fine.
Any suggestions as to how I'm going to fasten a small muffler to a cowl or a firewall so that is doesn't flop around. Mine is also coming loose.

sbdwag