Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 46Ax transition

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
rhk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46Ax transition

Have the 46 Ax mounted in a Phoenix funstar. The engine was run in as per instructions.

Fuel used is 20% oil, synthetic castor blend ( half being castor) , 5% nitro , balance methanol.

Running an APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop and using an Os # 8 plug.

The engines responds adequately from idle to full throttle, however when running at half throttle for a few minutes, and then increasing the throttle , it quits.

I am using the stock muffler and a Du Bro tank, with a sintered clunk.

Have had several dead sticks to date as most of the flying is at half throttle.

When I disconnect the fuel line from the engine, fuel drains form the tank with gravity.

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 46Ax transition

It sounds like the fuel tank is too high. The centerline of the fuel tank should be at the same level as the center of the carburetor, or no more than about 6-8mm lower. Fuel should not siphon out of the tank when the fuel level is lower than 1/2 tank. Also, you may wish to lean the idle mixture a bit. This will lean the midrange. However, this may mean that the idle RPM will have to be slightly higher. Any idle RPM that is 2,500 RPM or lower is considered "good".