Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS FS header pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OS FS header pipe

Bill, I own two of the OS .91 FS engines, to date I have had four headers break on one of them and two on the other. Today when the new header, about 15 flights, broke off I wasn't able to save my plane when the engine flamed out. I understand the vibration and weight of the muffler is a problem but they all break in the same place, right on the last thread at the engine. Is there another type of header that I can use to cure this very nasty problem?? This doesn't happen with my other OS 1.20s, just the .91s and it's always a surprise when they go sailing off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10437.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1337205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22920.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1337206  
Old 12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS FS header pipe

You may need to check the airframe to see if it's allowing the engine to move around. When you have a large muffler at the end of a small pipe, and the engine's moving around, the mass of the muffler will flex the pipe to the point where the pipe fatiques and breaks. You may want to secure the muffler to the airframe to help support it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: OS FS header pipe

Thanks Bill but after I posted this I gave it some thought and came up with a good answer, operator error!!! I have been using the GP adjustable motor mount on this plane/engine combo plus had the engine mounted way in the front of the mount. I think it's called harmonic vibration plus mount flexing. My stupid!!! I'm building a replacement plane and buying the correct OS metal mount that is pre drilled for the engine. I have a couple of the .91s and when I give it some thought I have been doing and using the same mounts and having the same problem. I don't have the problem on my 1.20s and have the correct OS mounts for them. A bit more money for the correct motor mount will save me a lot of trouble.