Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS LA 46 not running well

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 06:26 AM
AceMcCool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS LA 46 not running well

Hi, I have a fairly new OS LA 46 that just wont run right any more.

What happend was for about a month the engine was running well but one day you could hear it waver at full throttle and everything looked ok but then soon after that I noticed the engine getting browninsh as if I had accently got a few drops of fuel on it. Apparnetly the plastic back plate that the needle valve is mounted on had come a bit loose and the compresson was spraying a fine mist of fuel/air out the back. So I just tightend it and it didnt leak but the engine still runs really bad. I also noticed air bubbles coming from the needle valve to carb but im not sure if thats normal because I never noticed before.

The engine will idle and run fine at 1/2 throttle but as soon as you start going to 3/4 it wavers and starts to quit.

Enriching and leaning have verry little or no effect.
3 or 4 turns will make a difference

Factors to it not righting well are:
Might have gotten a really small grass seed in the carb on landing.
Switched fuel a week before the back plate came lose but it is proper fuel

I have checked the fuel lines for leaks, needle valve seems a tiny bit lose which may be causeing exess air bubbles. I unscrewed backplate and its not cracked and everything inside looks good, unscrewed cylinder head and the piston is black with the burnt oil. I screwed it back on and ran it again and it runs the same and I also replaced the glowplug and it still runs bad.

What I think happend was when the back plate lossend it made the engine so lean it caused a problem.

Im not great with engines, new to the hobby and this is my first one so I have no idea whats going on.

Any help would be nice.. thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OS LA 46 not running well

If the rear cover did come loose, it's possible that the engine had a too-lean run, and the piston/cylinder fit is gone. Usually, though, that causes idle problems.

While you changed fuels, that could still be a problem. Contamination can happen to any fuel.

You need to check everything...fuel system, muffler pressure, and so on. If you can't find anything external to the engine, then you may wish to send the engine to us to be checked out in the service department.